Australia post 1 (way overdue)

                                         HELLO NEW YORK




I have been back home for a little over three weeks now and clearly behind on my blogging. I type this to you on my phone because well my Big Mac has been sent to Mac daddy heaven in the sky.


Okay so maybe it didn't exactly go down like that but it may as well have.

So I kept up with most other of my social networks while I was away and in order to make the time pass quicker for my return to Aus, I have decided to post a picture a day from my Instagram with a little story behind it. So let me start with this one:



Flashback February 12th 2013, I didn't sleep much through the night knowing I was waking up in my own bed for the last time in five months. Around five am it was time to wake up and go, with sharp nerve pains in my stomach I got out of bed and looking around my room for the last time brought my life for five months in suitcases down the stairs. (Not easy to pack that stuff up into TWO suitcases.)

A few photos from my few days in LA:

               


Fast forward- 
February 14, 2013 11pm LAX international terminal:
Saying goodbye to my mom was the most exciting/nerve-wracking/exhilarating thing.

A million and one thoughts running through my blank mind and excitement streaming  through every part of my body. This was the best and worst decision I had made in all of my 22 years of living.

It was all a cloud of people at the Gate and so glad I had chosen to take a group flight that was arranged for students studying at University of the Sunshine Coast and within 5 minutes I had made a few friends. (Study abroad tip: take the group flight if it is offered! I met an amazing group of Americans who right away calmed my nerves and were awesome the travel with!)

Boarding the 14 hour flight was surprisingly calm and exciting, seeing as how I thought I could never make it sitting 14 hours in a row but Qantas was beyond amazing and I was even able to see when I was crossing the international dateline and equator!

We took off at midnight in LA (friday) which landed us in Brisbane around 6am 
(Saturday.)

Study abroad tips:

-I brought all my bed sheets and toiletries from home and I'm glad I did. It was a little piece of home that helped with home sickness and it was nice having familiar brands. Things were also more expensive in Australia so I didn't need to spend money on toothpaste for the entire time I was there (extra spending cash)

-Everything that could leak in ziplock bags!

-If you do decide to buy those things abroad search around for the cheapest places

-if you're open to your surroundings and meeting new people and go with the flow attitude you will undoubtedly have the time of your life so don't be nervous!

-Ask, ask, ask! People are more friendly than we give them credit for and the best way to find out about your new surroundings is by the people who know them! Room mates, people on the bus, employees at stores, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment